Sunday, November 6, 2011

Delicious Harvard Beets Recipe

Do you love  beets like we do?  We really do...

Do you know that beets have magnesium and can prevent osteoporosis, help lower cholesterol, have inflammatory properties, are rich in Vitamin B, have folate and other good properties? 

Our good friend Molly shared her delicious recipe and we made some at the cottage yesterday....and I made some today back home.  Very easy and very good.
Update*** I wanted to point out as a Nancy did when she made them I should have written either double the cans of beets or reduce the recipe by 1/2.****

Recipe for Molly's Harvard Beets

1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 beet juice (saved from can of beets)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1tbsp butter

1 can of sliced beets

Drain the beets reserving 1/4 cup of the juice.  Put the juice into a small saucepan, add the rest of the ingredients except the beets at this point. 

Heat to soft boil stirring until the cornstarch has thickened.  It won't be really thick but you'll now....  Remove from heat and add sliced beets.  Best when cooled to room temperature or served cold.
Now I have to say that the next time I make them I will either use 2 cans of beets or cut the rest of the recipe in half.  I found there was so much sauce that left I couldn't use. I think we'll take some over to share with our friends at Thanksgiving.   You might give them a try.... Judi xoxo

9 comments:

jeanne said...

Hi Judi, thanks so much for your visit and sweet comment about my mom's vase.

I do love Harvard Beets and this is an easy recipe. Mmmmmm, I can't wait to make them.

We have been out of town fr 9 days and just arrived home today. We visited family and saw two Gator (UF) in Florida, footbsll games. Fun times but I am so happy to be home.

Have a wonderful week.
XO, Jeanne

Theresa said...

I am not a fan of beets but my honeypie is:). They look festive for Thanksgiving. Have a blessed day dear Judi. Hugs

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I love beets, Judi! They are delicious, and they remind me of my grandmother who was a major beet lover!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dear Judi! Oh, my hubby just loves beets! I have to confess they are not my favorite but they are so pretty! I may have to try this just for him as it would make him feel so special.
thanks for all your good wishes.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

SmilingSally said...

I always thought that I was the ONLY ONE who liked beets!

We live close to a hospital, and their cafeteria serves meals to the public. They have a terrific salad bar, which offers beets. Yum! I eat there often.

pchickki said...

Just like my Mama used to make. I love beets !

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Hi Judi , I love love love beets ! I craved them when I was pregnant with my last child . Boy that was back in the old days for sure LOL !!

Julie said...

Hey Judi! I adore beets, but just plain! Isn't that weird? This looks yummy and now you have me craving them!!!!
xoxo- Julie

Nancy McCarroll said...

I love beets and forget about having them as the husband won't eat them. But I'll do your recipe and keep them in the fridge just for me!! Thanks.

Retirement Bliss

Again its been quite some time since I have found the time to write on my Blog.  Its great to have you stop by and I welcome your comment. ...