Monday, January 10, 2011

A Labour of Their Loves

It wasn't many weeks before Christmas when my eldest son Geoff asked if I could one day make them a quilt...one that they could use and then keep over the back of their couch. We were talking on the phone at the time and as he continued to describe the quilt he would love, I thought, oh my I can't to this.

At the same time I wished we'd had this discussion earlier. What a wonderful Christmas gift this could have been for them.

As I thought about it ideas came to mind and then it became a challenge to see what I could do.

He wanted it to include their life and what they loved and enjoyed doing...

I planned an embroidered "M" for Madeline, his daughter, my granddaughter...

an embroidered "A" for Austin, Kiley's little son....

I started with individual quilted blocks and embroidery....their new home...their love of camping and outdoors....birds...doberman...spiders..Finland...Canada...Ireland...

Here I laid squares on my bed trying to decide how to arrange them...

finally I started to sew strips between them, joining the squares...

I worked long evenings and long weekend days. Finally on Christmas eve, our Christmas I surprised them with the quilt. I had pinned the binding and still had to finish quilting the border and the binding but it was as ready as it was going to be for Christmas. They were so surprised and loved it.
]
I had to take it back so that I could complete it. This is my plan for this week and I'll show you the finished quilt when it is.

Marc said this was truly a "labour of love" and I decided a rightful name for the quilt should be "A Labour of Your Loves"..... Somehow I'll incorporate that onto a label on the front.


I'll share it when I'm done.....Judi xoxo

9 comments:

Theresa said...

Goodness Mercy, as my Mama would say, what a gorgeous quilt! Made with love and a treasure for them to cherish! Gifts that are homemade are the GREATEST gifts! Great job dear Judi! Can't wait to see it all finished! Have a blessed evening, HUGS!

Libby said...

What a beautiful and wonderful quilt!! All of us quilter's know that it is truely a "Labour of Love" I can see how much love went into it and sounds like they did too!!
What could be better than a handmade gift from your Momma?

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Judi! You just did a fabulous job with this quilt. I can't get over how pretty it is, and I know they were thrilled. That's the best kind of gift, too, one made with love. It's terrific!

Happy New Year to you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Julie said...

WOWZERS, Judi! How gorgeous, and thoughtful! You are so amazing to be able to do everything you do. You sure are an inspiration, and a FANTASTIC Mom!!! Can't wait to see it all finished!!!

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Wow ! Ms. Judi ! That quilt is awesome ! I wish I could get into quilting, like I need another project to get into,hehehe.
Thank you for remembering me and for your visits.

Laura's Rose Garden said...

HOLY COW!! Judy your quilt is exquisite!! When love and quilting are combined beautiful works of art are the results!
Thank you so much for the birthday wishes!! I am up early so I can hit the thrift stores as soon as they open. I am picking up scallops for dinner tonight and rack of lamb for tomorrow nights dinner. I have had a fabulous birthday week!!
When is your birthday?
Good luck with my give-away!!
Love and warm hugs, Laura

Laura's Rose Garden said...

Me again Judi!! Happy Belated Birthday on the 3rd!!! I'll remember for next year because it is ten days before mine (but I will also write it down in my birthday book because my 51 year old brain ain't like she used to be!!)
Love and hugs, Laura

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Wow--what a special gift. It's amazing just how fast you got that put together.

Amelia said...

I can tell "Love" was sewn in each and every stitch...shows the kids how much their Mother/Grandmother loves them.

Retirement Bliss

Again its been quite some time since I have found the time to write on my Blog.  Its great to have you stop by and I welcome your comment. ...