Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fresh Strawberry Fruit Cake











I baked a Fresh Strawberry Fruit cake for Mother's Day which we celebrated at my mom's house. My youngest son Richard's birthday is May15th so because we were all together we put on candles and sang Happy Birthday to him also. I posted about this cake last summer on Wordpress but I hope you don't mind my posting again.

This cake is moistened with sweeted water and best when made completed a day earlier.

Fresh Strawberry Fruit Cake

Use equal amounts of eggs, sugar and flour adding 1 tbsp. extra flour. I used 5 eggs (1 cup), therefore one cup of the other 2 dry ingredients. That made a 9" cake pan. I normally like to use 7-8 eggs and use a large tall pan.

Eggs
Sugar
Flour plus 1 tablespoon
2 tsp. baking powder

Fruit - any mix of your choice of strawberries, kiwi, grapes, peaches, blueberries etc. You can use canned fruit cocktail as well.

Strawberry Jam
Jello powder (box of 4 servings)
Heavy cream - whipped

Beat the eggs and sugar for a couple of minutes until light and airy. Beat in the flour with the baking powder little by little until mixed.

Bake for approx. 35 minutes at 350F or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack. Remove cake from pan. Slice across through the middle and separate the 2 pieces.

Prepare jello as per instructions but decrease boiling water to 3/4 cup. Place in fridge to set. Keep an eye on it because you want to take it out when it is still spoonable so that it will just spread but not run.

Meanwhile mix 1-1/2 cups of warm water and sweeten with tablespoons of sugar until quite sweet. You can add a splash of rum or cointreau for additional flavour. Use spoon to moisten the bottom and inside of top layer with the water. You want it to be quite moist.






Prepare fruit by cutting into slices and place on top of cake as creatively as you like. :o)


Whip the cream.
Spread some strawberry jam on bottom piece of cake. Place some fruit on bottom layer. It doesn't all have to be covered. Spoon some whip cream over fruit. Place top layer on bottom layer.



Spread whip cream around the sides of cake and 1" around the outer edge of the top of cake.

When jello has set enough to be still spoonable, spoon it over the fruit and top being careful that it stays inside the outer rim of whipping cream.



Refrigerate to set. Tomorrow it will be so delicious!! This is a very popular Finnish cake and quite impressive looking as well. Its a long winded recipe but so fast and simple, really. Enjoy.
Have a very sweet day..... Judi xoxo
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A note to Judy - the Orange Ginger Sauce I use is this purchased one which says its a dipping sauce. I use it on so many different foods when cooking including the talepia fish as I told you. I also put it on pork chops on chicken when grilling or baking, and when I'm doing a stir fry with shrimp and other fish and seafood dishes. Great with scallops. I am in Canada so if you can't find it I'm sure you would have a similar type of sauce. Try a chinese/ethnic part of your grocery store too. The pineapple teriyaki sauce I buy in the states and can't buy here. I think its HP brand. Let me know if you can find it.

9 comments:

Madison Grace Lovewith, The Happy Chance said...

That strawberry cake looks absolutely delicious. And your cat is adorable. She reminds me a little of my cat Chloe (whose breed of cat is called rag doll). What type of cat is your Abby?

Judy said...

The cake looks absoulutely divine. Would you mind sharing the ginger orange sauce you serve over tilapia? It sounds wonderful and so easy.

pchickki said...

Oh boy this looks so good. Can I come over and have a piece with you?

Thanks Judi for your sweet comment on my first collages. They really do need something but it was sweet of you to compliment me on them.

I see that you are on Blogger. Now I can follow you.
Have a great day
Patti

Faye said...

Judi,This looks so good!Thank-u for sharing.Hope you have a great day! Blessings, Faye

Kim's Treasures said...

The cake looks heavenly!

Judy said...

Hi Judi, thank you so much. I will let you know if and where I find some. I'm so excited!!

SmilingSally said...

I'm too busy right now to make this, so just send me a cake!

Dawn said...

That sounds very good! I just love fruit and strawberries are my favorite! I will save this recipe to try! Thanks for sharing ☺

take care,
Dawn

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Yum yum...I like anything with strawberries. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Stay Cozy, Carrie

Retirement Bliss

Again its been quite some time since I have found the time to write on my Blog.  Its great to have you stop by and I welcome your comment. ...