Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Marinara Seafood Sauce








This weekend we were so in the mood for seafood. We found a recipe but then took away ingredients and added in ingredients and it turned out JUST like what we had in mind. It didn't take any time to prepare either which was a bonus. You can add any kind of seafood and although we used cooked shrimp, which is what we had on hand, go ahead and use fresh if you prefer.
Ingredients:

olive oil
1/2 tbsp. minced garlic
28 oz. crushed tomatoes
1 can of clam juice
1 small can of stewed tomatoes with chillies and spices
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/8 cup onion, chopped
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. oregano
1 small can mushrooms (or use fresh)
Combination of mussels, shrimp and and scallops. We used 2 dozen mussels, a dozen shrimp (larger size and cooked) and 10 large scallops

Fry the garlic and mushrooms, celery and onion in olive oil until about 5 minutes or so to cook mushrooms. Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano and parsley and bring to a soft boil. Lower heat, cover and allow to cook for about 15 minutes. Add the stewed tomatoes and clam juice, tbsp sugar and cook another 10 minutes with the lid off stirring occasionally.
Scrub the mussels and remove any beards. Add the mussels and scallops to mixture and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on until mussels open. Discard any that do not open. Stir in the cooked shrimp to warm them.



We served the dish over fresh linguini pasta and let me tell you....it was so delicious. You can adjust the heat by adding more or less of the stewed tomatoes with chilies. We found that 1/2 the small can combined with the added sugar gave it some heat and some sweet. Just the way we love it! We served it up with a fresh salad and crusty bread.


Marc is giving the seal of yummy to this dish!

Have a lovely day.... Judi xoxo

8 comments:

Lorrie said...

Hi Judi, this sounds delicious--it's so fun when a recipe just "comes together". Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

This looks delicious! THanks for visiting me. I'm off to read more of your posts!

jeanne said...

Hello Judi, thank you so much for your sweet comments. Things are doing better now.

Your seafood chowder looks fabulous. Too bad I am allergic to all of that lovely seafood. I love it too. sigh.

Your header is so beautiful. I bet you made it too.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow. I am saying goodnight to this one.

Hugs...Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Judi this recipe looks delicious! I copied it and will try it sometime after Easter. Thank you so much. I hope you are having a lovely evening :>)

Julie said...

OMG! My hubby would be in heaven if I made this!!! He is a seafood junky...and in a tomato base...look out!!! LOL! Thanks for posting!

I'm glad your Mom got back safely! I know she enjoyed her winter time here!

God bless!
Julie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

The dish looks delicious, and the expression on your husband's face says it all! laurie

SmilingSally said...

This looks so good.

I like your new tassel in your header.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Yay! I was just thinking about a recipe like this! I am glad to come across your blog! Blessings from Amy

Retirement Bliss

Again its been quite some time since I have found the time to write on my Blog.  Its great to have you stop by and I welcome your comment. ...