Saturday, October 31, 2009

Gramma Brown's Corn Chowder

Did you have a spooky Hallowe'en? Did you have many trickortreaters?
Most people I spoke to just didn't have as many as usual. We had fun at the Hallowe'en party. Look at the moon that night. It really looks like a spooky full moon....boooooooooo...













Everyone brought something to pass and oh my there were so many wonderful dishes. Don't you love a pot luck? We made Grandma Brown's Corn Chowder. We don't know her but her recipe came from here and I've written it for you. We had so many raving comments about it. We brought along styrofoam cups and spoons and kept it hot in the crock pot. Beside it we had oyster crackers in a mason jar....Yummmmmy!
Gramma Brown's Corn Chowder

Ingredients
1 pound bacon
4 stalks celery, chopped
4 small onion, diced
1/4 cup margarine
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
2 (14.75 ounce) cans cream-style corn
2 (15.25 ounce) cans whole kernel corn
8 cups chicken broth
2 cups whole milk
2 cups 1/2 and 1/2 cream
6 potatoes, cubed
4 carrots, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Directions
Fry bacon in pan until almost done. Add onions and celery, and saute until lightly browned.
Transfer to a cooking pot. Add cream-style corn, kernel corn, butter, and broth. Add carrots and potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes.

Mix together flour and a little water to form a paste.
Add milk and flour paste. You might want to add more flour paste, depending on how thick you like your chowder. Simmer for 30 minutes or until you are ready to eat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Have a great day... Judi xoxo

7 comments:

Lorrie said...

Hi Judi, for the first time in over 25 years we were out of town on Halloween and didn't hand out any candy, it seemed a bit strange to miss it.

The corn chowder sounds wonderful for fall. I don't have a recipe of my own and would like to try this one.

bj said...

This sounds like a perfect dish to have thru some cold weather. Thanks for the great recipe.
I didn't have but very, VERY few trick or treaters...too sad. I love it when they come in droves!! Mr. Sweet and I had to finish off the Hershey candy bars!! hahhhaaa

Anonymous said...

Hi Dear Judi! I've been missing you! I'm so glad you stopped by today! Hope you're doing well and having some fun.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Judi... we didn't have as many this year, and I wasn't disappointed. The ones we did have were young and just darling.

That chowder sounds delicious!

XO,

Sheila :-)

SmilingSally said...

We were out of town and didn't return until after 8:00. No treaters came by after that.

Thanks for the recipe.

Simply Debbie said...

DEAR JUDI,
HALLOWEEN WAS AMY'S FAVORITE TIME OF YEAR AND HER AUNT BOUGHT HER COSTUME......OUR PLAN WAS TO PUT HER HOSPITAL BED BY THE DOOR AND SHE COULD HAND OUT CANDY. SHE DIED 1012PM ON OCT 23RD AND WAS BURIED AT 200PM ON OCT 27TH.IT WAS A DIFFICULT TIME THE DR. IS HELPING ME THROUGH BECAUSE IF I TRY TO SLEEP, WHEN I WAKE UP I RUN TO THE LIVING ROOM TO TAKE CARE OF HER AND MY HUSBAND HAS TO SPEND 30 PLUS MINUTES EXPLAINING TO ME SHE IS DEAD.IT IS AWFUL RELIVING IT AND RELIVING IT.
I LOVE THE TITLE OF YOUR BLOG CRANBERRY BLOSSOM,,,,,,,,,VERY RICH WITH EXOTIC FLAVORFUL SMELLS.......
DON'T SELL YOURSELF SHORT BEAUTIFUL LADY....YOU STARTED IT AND YOU WILL BE THE ONE TO FINISH IT....I FEEL THE HOLY SPIRIT WANTED ME TO TELL YOU THAT....YOU HAVE THE WISDOM AND TRUE GRIT.
WISHING YOU A BEAUTIFUL WEEK FULL OF THE GRACE OF THE LORD.
ANGEL HUGS
Debbie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Judi, this sounds so delicious. I'm saving this recipe for sure. Thanks for sharing it. What a great idea to take it to the party and serve it in cups. laurie

Retirement Bliss

Again its been quite some time since I have found the time to write on my Blog.  Its great to have you stop by and I welcome your comment. ...