Thursday, March 5, 2009

Finishing up the Edge/Trim Corners of a Blanket/Quilt Tutorial (my way)

I wanted to post about a baby's blanket I made for a lady at work who was expecting her first child. Don't they have the cutest eyes and expressions? I thought so.

At the time I made a tutorial on how I did the edging and corners on the main side. I used to have some trouble making the corners square but after playing around with it this is how I do it. Many of my quilts and blankets use a contrasting material on the back that becomes the edge binding on the right side. This is easy, tidy and is a nice contrast for the front. It works for me.
I had a lot of interest in this tutorial when it was on Wordpress so I thought I'd bring it to Blogspot as well.

Looking at the front of my completed blanket I measure the panel/material that runs around the completed blanket/quilt which is the right side of the back piece of my blanket/quilt. I want to leave double the width I want the edge/trim to be and cut it to that size.
Along the long side I fold the fabric in half and then half again on to the blanket and pin at that spot.
Beginning at the left side of the short end I place a sharp fold, temporarily pinning that point and fold the bottom up to the bottom edge of the blanket/quilt and then fold up one more time. You might have to adjust the fold until it meets at a perfect and neat angle with the edge of the left-side longer edge. I fold up the rest of that edge pinning along the way to the end.

Turn your blanket/quilt so that you once again begin at the left side with the sharp fold repeating until all four corners are pinned evenly.
I then sew along the folded edge of the trim/edge all the way around. I might use a fancy machine stitch, or small zigzag to close up the fold on the corners, or place delicate hand stitches and sometimes the fabric looks good without doing anything more.
The trim is actually the same width all the way around the blanket although them picture didn't capture this. Were you able to understand my tutorial?

Let me know how it works for you....I'd love to hear your comments on what you are making.
Morning 2 of Vacation is sunny and clear....it can only be a good day.
Hope you have a lovely day too.... Judi xoxo

10 comments:

Julie said...

Oh my gosh...what is wrong with us...up at 2am! I only slept 3 hours last night and only 4 hours tonight. Woke straight up at 3am! Now Doozey is sound asleep here on couch, and I am wide awake! Good to have company in the middle of the night! I was talking with my DIL in Germany! It is daytime there!!!

Anytime you are coming to Fl, and you want to even meet for coffee...let me know! LOL...sorry you can't come down now, but hope you have a great vacation time! I am so looking forward to my week next week off! I am driving my dtr to Key West to have a look around...I have lived here my whole life, and never gone down there!!! Isn't that crazy???

OK...have a great day, Judi!

Beautiful quilt, BTW! You sure are talented! I am not a quilter at all...my Mom is though!!!!!

SmilingSally said...

I'm not a quilter either, and I'm up when I should be asleep.

Judi, I'd like you to do a tutorial on the tassel you have in your beautiful header. I mean a step-by-step help for craft challenged people like me.

♥ Kathy said...

That is so beautiful Judi! I'm impressed ♥

Heidi Pocketbook said...

The quilt is so cute, what a lucky baby to have that to snuggle up in.

Love the new picture of the egg tassle--and I'm spying that china that looks so similar to mine.

Have a good Thursday, Judi☺

Neabear said...

This is a great tutorial. I understood just fine. I love the tassel in your header. I think I told you that already though. Oh well, I'm telling you again. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hi Judi! Oh, I love how you did that corner. My mother's a quilter and I guess she does her corners this way! I sew, but not as much as I used to! That's a precious little fabric.
Enjoy your vacation.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Artifax said...

I can't sew at all, but I *can* admire your gorgeous quilt!! That is going to be one warm, snugly and lucky baby :)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

That baby blanket is darling! I LOVE the precious Easter tassel in your header. laurie

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Hi Judi, I love the blanket and the tutorial was great ! Love the tassle in your header also .

Unknown said...

Hi Judi,
That is a beautiful quilt. I love the vibrant colors.

I'm sorry I haven't been buy lately.
I think you did tell me you had moved, but didn't get my blogroll fixed. I'm going to do that right now!

Diane

Retirement Bliss

Again its been quite some time since I have found the time to write on my Blog.  Its great to have you stop by and I welcome your comment. ...