Thursday, September 10, 2009

17 Mile Drive

Before I go on.... I saw in Yahoo some news that caught my eye because of my post yesterday on loonies and toonies and it used the world "loonie" as we do...so I'm sharing......

"TORONTO - Canadian shoppers have been paying more at supermarket cash registers, but a price war could be on the horizon if the loonie continues to trek higher and consumers react to the weak economy, some industry watchers suggest." the word loonie sounds funny to me after your reaction to it. *lol*...

Ok...on our California vacation in July we drove the 17 Mile Drive in Monterey. You pay and go through a gate, receive a little map to follow and drive along the ocean and along the beautiful homes. I can't even imagine living in a gated area where people drive to look at my place....and
the natural beauty around.





loved the homes....and imagined what they were like inside...
They were were huge and wonderful and all so different to each other. Their properties were large and beautifully landscaped. Some had bulldozeres and tractors in them because they were having some extra landscaping done. Whew.














There was a steady stream of cars travelling along the trail so we couldn't stop to take pictures. I wished Marc could have dropped me off and let me walk and snap to my heart's desire but he didn't think that was a good idea.

We actually saw a real estate sign indicating a house that had sold for $24,000,0000.!! They were going to be holding a golf tournament function at it.














We saw some beautiful and unusual flowers. This one looks like a red bottle brush.













The roadways were so amazing to drive along....














The ocean scenery beautiful....













Golf courses like Pebble Beach were giving Marc heart palpatations I'm sure....













We saw a Ghost Tree.....













and looked out for crossing deer....can you imagine....














It was a great 17 Mile drive all the way out the back gates.... How do people manage to live in places like this? We enjoyed our visit... Hope you are having a great day.... Judi xoxo

11 comments:

SmilingSally said...

When my daughter was born 49 years ago, my parents drove around this sight. They took pictures of the Ghost Tree. Amazing!

The red bottlebrush is exactly that--a red bottlebrush tree. They easily grow around here.

Darlene said...

What fabulous pictures. I can't even imagine living in an area like that. I am with Marilyn that they must have some other way of getting in and out of their homes.

Hope you are having a wonderful day.

Connie said...

I have always loved that drive, honey. I love Monterey and the restaurants but golfing there will run upwards from $750.00 for a day of golfing! Way too much for the average budget.
xoxo,
Connie

Connie said...

Oooh, forgot to ask, would you like to exchange links with me? Just email me from my blog and let me know, sugar.
xoxo,
Connie

Anonymous said...

Hi Judi! Oh, what a wonderful post! I've been there too and it's so lovely! Can't believe the cost of that house!
Thank you so much for your sweet words about my tablescape!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Lindsay-ann said...

Those houses look gorgeous. I would have loved to walk with you and take pictures. How amazing would it be to actually go inside and look around?
Lindsay
x

Judi said...

Marilyn - I wonder whether they have a back way of getting out of there. I can't imagine they would 2 big entrance/exits...interesting thought.

Sally - Isn't that interesting that the Ghost Tree has been around as it has for so long and I didn't know that plant was actually called what I thought it looked like. Neat.

Anna Rosa Designs said...

Hi Judi,
Thank you for sharing your trip with us.
Some people are so overloaded with money. lol
I will have to come see for myself one day.
Hugs,
Anna

Lorrie said...

This is a fun post Judi-it's fun to get a little peek into the lives of the very rich, don't you think. I wonder how these folks make their money? Still, can such a grand house be more wonderful than the cottage on the lake? I think not!

Julie said...

Oh, this looks just like my neighborhood! LOL...yeah...ha ha ha...just kidding!!!

It looked like a gorgeous area, for sure...you do wonder how people ever amass such fortunes, don't you??? WOW! Only in my dreams!!!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

It is amazing to see the way some people live. It's hard for me to even imagine their lives. Isn't that ghost tree amazing? Thanks for sharing such an interesting drive. (It sounds even funnier for "loonie" to be used in a serious article about the economy!) I'm sure we have some names for things that sound very funny to others also. laurie

Retirement Bliss

Again its been quite some time since I have found the time to write on my Blog.  Its great to have you stop by and I welcome your comment. ...