Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Facelift with A Can of Paint...

I finally did it!  What did I do?  I painted my diningroom set and I am SO happy with the results.

If you follow my blog you may remember a few years ago I recovered the seats and that made them happier...

But they still looked tired....see how tired it looks from the back and the dull colour of the table?
and my china and crystal are looking sad in the hutch....
so I chose a colour that was a brownish red.  I cleaned the pieces with TSP and I lightly sanded them.  I used a good quality paint and a new good brush and that made all the difference I'm sure.  I didn't need a primer and the paint was very forgiving.

The furniture is not tired looking anymore.  I'm loving the colour.  Its like having new furniture now.  I'm going to paint the top of the table with another coat of paint in the same colour but with blacker tint added to it.  I'll do that to the little ledge going around the middle of the hutch as well.   We're entertaining this weekend so I have to wait until next week to give the table time to set as it is.
and the back of the chairs look so good now....
and another picture from this angle.  Everything in my hutch looks great and happy.
The floral curtains I made at the same time as the covered chair seats look good together.  
It feels like a whole brand new place....now....what about the walls?  I know I have to paint the walls because I want them a lighter colour but that will be NEXT time.  Are you or have you been changing up the colour of your furniture or walls?

Have a wonderful day.... Judi xoxo

5 comments:

jeanne said...

Hi Judi, I agree, where is the time going? I feel like I need to live each day "more." It slips away and I haven't done enough.

You did that by painting your dining room furniture and it looks fabulous. I mean it Judi, it is a brand new look. This took guts because it is a huge undertaking. I love the color. I think you should paint the walls too. A complete facelift is a good thing. I can feel your excitement in your words.

Enjoy your company and happy days to you.
HUGS, Jeanne

Julie said...

Oh...it looks so fresh and pretty, Judi!!! Painting is a big job and you did it!!! I cannot bring myself to do anything anymore...I seem to have lost so much of my former, young self...I just need to get to it and rejuvenate things around here!!! Mainly myself, I think! :)
Enjoy your new room, Judi!!!
xoxo- Julie

Theresa said...

I have been wanting to paint stuff around my house! Just the ladder right now, but more painting coming up! My dining room set is DARK and I really want to lighten it up! Mighty big job:) Yours look fresh as a daisy:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Judi!
It looks great!! I love painting furniture.

C'est moi Claudette said...

Nope, I don't paint furniture, but I sure do change my drapes and my "things", lol.
I'll take that back, I do paint, but it's usually spray paint. Mostly things for the yard. Last thing I painted was an ugly brown table and chairs. I'm sure you've seen my little cottage kitchen. I has my sweet pink chairs and baby blue table : )
LOVE your transformation. I know for a FACT that it was a lot of WORK. Good for you gf.
xoxoxoxoxo

Retirement Bliss

Again its been quite some time since I have found the time to write on my Blog.  Its great to have you stop by and I welcome your comment. ...