Thursday, June 21, 2012

Nik Wallenda Walks Tightrope Across Niagara Falls


Did you watch Nik Wallenda walking the tightrope over Niagara Falls from the United States to Canada last Friday night?  When he reached the Canadian side he had 2 customs officials waiting.  He had to pull out his passport (wrapped in plastic) out of his pocket to show ID.  That was funny.  He comes from a family of tightrope walkers and 2-3 members have actually not been successful during their career and died.

We had been hearing about this over the past year and Nik has been working on getting permission for 2 years.  The cost to him was $1.5 million dollars but he has cut deals with TV and other places to make up the money.

He has been walking ropes since he was 2 years old.  If you watched the full half hour on TV you would have been amazed at how calmly he spoke while they interviewed him as he walked.  I would think he needed more concentration and been unable to do that.  Perhaps some of the other videos show him talking. His mother made his shoes for him out of eelskin.  I have no idea how he remained up there with the wire dripping off the wire.
It is a bit nerve shattering to say the least.  He has a tether cord for this walk because he was not allowed to do it without this assurance.  It sounds like its not what he originally planned to do.
Whew.  I am so afraid of heights and I know my eyes would be watering, and the mist would make me cough and I'd get an anxiety attack.  Never mind that the 30 minute walk made him very fatigued.  His hands were numb and he was very drained.

Good for him!  I pass Niagara Falls every time I drive to the Rockledge Cottage in NY.  I will view look over and think of him as I drive by the rushing water.

Have a wonderfully...dry kind of day yourself... Judi xoxo

9 comments:

Nancy McCarroll said...

Gee, I sometimes forget to take the purse with my driver's license in it. He thought of his passport wrapped in plastic :o)

Theresa said...

I watched this and it was amazing how calmly he spoke! ALL of the mist made me nervous for him! I know that he wanted to do it without the safety line but it was still pretty scary to watch! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

SmilingSally said...

Like Evil Knevel, I think this man will challenge himself as long as he lives. I'm glad that the authorities MADE HIM use that attachment. I would have hated to see him fall! For that reason, I choose NOT to watch.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judi! I didn't know if you knew it, but Theresa Reel from Sentimental Journey passed away a couple of days ago. I went to How Sweet the Sound and Beverly had her obit up. Also BJ at Sweet Nothings has posted about her. I know you knew her and would want to know.
Blessings,
Shelia;)

Judi said...

Thank you Shelia for this information. I did see it at Beverly's blog also. It is very sad.

Theresa was such a fighter and her comments were always so positive. She didn't blog for a while all of a sudden and I wondered what was up. It is so sad to lose another sweet blogging friend. I know we all wish her family great strength together in their healing and comfort to one another.

As I wrote in Beverly's post we must all stop and count our blessings.
Judi

bj said...

I did, indeed, watch him walk. I have watched several of the Wallendas over the years. Always very exciting.:)
xo bj

Julie said...

Oh, gosh...I did not see this on TV!!! I would have been so nervous the whole time! I'm a big chicken...even for others!!! LOL. So glad he made it!

Ana said...

Oh my goodness Judi, just reading about it makes me nerves. Just glad he was successful. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Hugs and Kisses,
Ana

Lindsay-ann said...

Oh goodness Judi, that's so scary. He is totally insane. I can't imagine ever wanting to try that! I too, dislike heights!
Hope you are having a great weekend. I know that you are if you are at your cottage :)
Lindsay
x

Retirement Bliss

Again its been quite some time since I have found the time to write on my Blog.  Its great to have you stop by and I welcome your comment. ...