Friday, January 8, 2010

We need to be grateful...

One never know in a split second what can happen and we really need to remember to be grateful of all goodness.

On Wednesday night after a nice hot bath I settled into bed at 11:00 p.m. ready to unwind with a little magazine reading. That’s when the fire alarm began its piercing shrill sound. Abby (my kitty) and I jumped up. I’m in a 3rd floor apartment. I was back in my clothes in a flash and in the hall people were deciding what to do. Someone ran up to our floor and told us it IS a fire. I ran to grab Abby’s carrier but I could not find her anywhere no matter how I searched. I called loudly through that piercing alarm. When I saw smoke seeping into my kitchen I knew I HAD to leave the apartment. It was awful leaving her but I had no choice.

The apartment cleared outdoors and I sat with another neighbor in her car along with 2 other residents keeping warm. Fortunately it wasn’t a snowy blowy night but it was cold. We watched 3 paramedic trucks arrive and fire trucks and lots and lots of flashing police cruisers. There was huge smoke on the first floor where a sofa had caught fire in an apartment where a man had been smoking. He was semi-conscious I believe when they broke into his apartment. He lives alone. He was taken to the hospital where he is still and not doing very well.

We sat watching and I realized again just how vulnerable we are. I was more worried about smoke and Abby back up in the apartment. At midnight 2 regional buses were brought in and everyone moved into them. It was wonderful watching all the people who chipped in and did little things like helping the elderly residents (we have a number of those) and comforting each other. A neighbor in a house across the road came out throughout this time to let us know we could use her restroom anytime or have tea. She was awake and available the whole night into the morning.

We sat in the bus huddled many in slippers and long coats over pajamas. We were a party of neighbours spending hours in the night together most of us not knowing each other and uncertain about the situation. Some sat quietly with concern in thought, others were taking advantage of this group time and laughing and talking about other matters. Finally just before 1:30 a.m. we retraced our steps to our apartments. Perhaps we won’t meet each other again but we’ll have memories of this time we spent together. I think it’ll take some time before we are all feeling totally comfortable at home.

Enjoy your day…your home…. Judi xoxo

P.S. Abby was fine and happy to see me when I got home. I was so happy to see her too. I scooped her up hugging her tightly.


Marilyn said...

My goodness! We do need to be ever grateful. I'm so glad it wasn't any worse and that Abby survived the smoke. I pray the man improves. It is so nice when people pull together. Judi, I just so grateful you are ok and your Abby is too and your apartment is too. Yes, we should be grateful every day and learn compassion and understanding. SO glad you are ok.

Heidi Pocketbook said...

So thankful you and your kitty are ok. How wonderful that everyone could pull together and people be so helpful.

Lorrie said...

Wow, Judi--what a frightening experience. I'm so glad it had a happy ending for you. It is true, that things can change in an instant.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Judi sweetie...
How horribly frightening this must have been. All because someone was smoking and most likely went to sleep with their cigarette lit. How very sad for all of you in the apartment complex to be inflicted by this all. Cigarettes are bad for you and have caused so many fires over the years.

At least you were all able to comfort one and another, you got to meet some people you otherwise would never have met, and you even got to meet your neighbor across the street. You should stop by one day and introduce yourself and thank her, strike up a little conversation and all. All things happen for a reason, maybe you were meant to meet new friends.

I am so thrilled that poor Abby is okay too, as I am sure it was most frightening for her. Animals do not like strange noises and I am sure the fire alarm was quite piercing.

Have a beautiful Friday sweetie. Country hugs...Sherry

♥ Kathy said...

Oh my gosh Judi!! I'm soooo glad you're ok!!!

bj said...

Goodness...this must have been so scary. I've often wondered what we would do if our house caught fire...I am so scatter brained sometimes, but I really don't panic. When it calls for grit, I usually have it.
Glad you and your kitty are fine..
xo bj

Darlene said...

What a frightening night for you and your neighbors. That must have been so scary and I am so glad that Abby is alright. I have always been a bit afraid of apts. for that very never know what a neighbor might accidently do. It is wonderful, however how people do pull together in a time of crisis. I have seen it first hand with the tornado that ripped through our town last Feb. So, so thankful you are alright.♥

Anna Rosa Designs said...

Oh, gosh, Judi,
how very scary for you to have to go through that.
It is situations like these that makes us thankful and grateful for what we have an who we are.
I'm glad all turned out well in the end.
I hope that guy recovers well.
Warm hugs,

Dawn said...

Oh my goodness how scary!!! I am glad that you are ok. I'll bet Abby was so happy to see you when you were able to return.

In the midst of such a tragedy it is so nice to see people being there for each other.

take care,

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that, for you and others, this turned out okay. What an experience. I hope the man who is in the hospital gets well.
The way you wrote about it really made it up-close-and-personal.
I couldn't help but think ... anyway, glad you and Abby are okay and the others too. What neat neighbors - even and especially in a time of crisis. Jenn

Julie said...

oh judi...what a scary and terrible story! i hope the man in the hospital is doing better. glad you and Abby were ok. despite everything, it will remain a memory of love and compassion! hope you will feel comfortable again soon in your takes time i'm sure! sorry about my one handed typing...holding baby em's!
take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Judi! How terrifying and to be seprated from your precious Abby, too!

I sure hope that man survived. I'm thankful that your place was okay and that the firetrucks got there in time. How awful, but praise God for saving the rest of you and your apartments.

Thanking the Good Lord for your safety...


Sheila :-)

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Judi
This must have been so scary for you. I am so thankful that you and Abby were ok. It sounds like everybody pulled together and helped each other which is good. I hope that the man is ok and that you start to feel comfortable at home again very soon.
Sending a big hug today.

Marilyn said...

How are you and Abby today? Is your apt aired out from the smoke? I've been thinking about you two.

SmilingSally said...

How frightening, Judi! I'm glad to hear that you and Abby are safe once again.

Retirement Bliss

Again its been quite some time since I have found the time to write on my Blog.  Its great to have you stop by and I welcome your comment. ...